Posted Thu, 05 Sep 2019 15:34:18 GMT by Benson Mathew WSP India Engineer, iCRC- Highways, UK
Hello, 

Is it possible to undertake Cantilever sign post and foundation design using KeyPost?

Thank you,
Benson Mathew
Posted Fri, 06 Sep 2019 09:01:50 GMT by Will Baron Keysoft Solutions Director
Hi,

The short answer is yes.

Whilst it would be hard to go into exactly how here, there are a couple of things to note. Firstly, KeyPOST doesn't consider how the sign is to be attached to the support, it assumes that a suitable fixing is available. Secondly, there are two ways that people consider what a cantilevered attachment is, either using clips into the channel behind the sign, with a small portion of the sign overlapping the post, or a 'true' cantilever where no part of the sign overlaps the support. Of course, in the latter case and if this for example was a triangular warning sign, some sort of channel or other horizontal attachment from the top part of the sign would be needed. KeyPOST doesn't need this as it assumes some sort of fixing will be in place. You can of course add channel to the sign if you want to see this. Have a look at the two images attached as files to this post. IN the one showing a triangular sign I haven't added any channel so it seems impossible but KeyPOST can still verify the design is a valid structural overall.

If you want more information about exactly how to achieve this please feel free to give us a call and we can try to set-up a screenshare to talk you through the process.

Good luck
Will
Posted Sun, 08 Sep 2019 05:20:29 GMT by Benson Mathew WSP India Engineer, iCRC- Highways, UK
Hi Will, 

Many thanks for your response.

I am looking to design a cantilever post and foundation for an ADS face of roughly 4m width and 3m height, henceforth we would required a channel /horizontal arm to support the sign face. Also, post lengths (horizontal and vertical) would be required for costing purpose. Can we still go ahead with the methodology mentioned in your response? 

As advised, i would appreciate if you can set-up a screenshare session to go through the procedure.

Best Regards,
Benson Mathew

You must be signed in to post in this forum.